I heard a story today that I want to share with you. I heard that a neighbor let her dog out in the backyard and she came back in and went about her business. When she went to let the dog back in (about an hour later) she noticed the dog was not acting right so she brought the dog to the veterinary office. Well, it turns out that the dog was bitten by a snake.
Here is what you need to know….If your dog gets bitten by a snake.
- attempt to catch or kill the snake. It is possible to get bitten again.
- cut, suck, constrict, or ice the area.
- Wash the area with warm, soapy water.
- Remove any jewelry or constrictive clothing.
- Attempt to splint or immobilize the affected area.
- Elevate affected area to at least heart level.
- Seek medical attention.
If you think your dog has been bitten by a snake please bring him to the veterinary office ASAP to have the dog treated and you will be given meds to help with the healing process. Dogs will be ok if you have them treated right away.
I want to make everyone aware that there are so many snakes here in North Carolina and if you have a dog, please make sure that you carefully watch them when they are outdoors.