What Happens If My Pet Eats Silica Gel? | Indian Trail Pet Sitter Explains | Dogs, Cats |

Silica Gel
What Happens If My Pet Eats Silica Gel?
I have seen this so many times in products that we all buy. I worry what if a dog or cat should eat it, what would happen?  So I did a little research and this is what I have found out.  Although, whenever I get one of those little packets I throw it out right away.  I don’t even want to take the chance that one of my pets might eat it.

Are silica gel desiccant packages toxic to pets?


Silica gel is used to absorb moisture in many different products, and is usually packaged in plastic cylinders or paper packets. You’ve probably seen those little packets that say “DESSICANT—DO NOT EAT!” in medications, leather goods, vitamins and even some pasta products. Silica gel is also used in certain cat litters to absorb moisture.

While it is indeed true that it is not meant for consumption, silica gel usually produces only mild stomach upset, which typically resolves with minimal to no treatment. If very large quantities are eaten, however, such as with ingestion’s of multiple packets or mouthfuls of kitty litter, intestinal obstruction is possible—especially in very small animals.




Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign Up For Our Newsletter!

Keep up with all the specials and important updates that are pet related!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This