Should My Dog Eat Wild Mushrooms From My Yard?
PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD:
We are very sad to say that we lost one of our (very young) campers over the weekend, who had to be put down after ingesting poisonous wild mushrooms growing in his backyard. This issue is, unfortunately, very common at the moment considering how wet it’s been around the Charlotte area.
Toxic wild mushrooms are classified into four categories (A, B, C, D), based on the clinical signs and their time of onset, and into seven groups (1-7) on the basis of the toxin they contain. However, because it is sometimes difficult to identify what type of mushroom your dog has consumed, you should always bring the suspected mushroom with you when you take your dog to the vets office.
Symptoms vary greatly depending on the type of mushroom ingested. Category A mushrooms, for example, are the most toxic and cause the destruction of cells, especially liver and kidney cells. Category B and C mushrooms, meanwhile, affect the nervous system, and category D mushrooms cause gastrointestinal irritation. The following are some of the more common symptoms associated with mushroom poisoning:
Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
Excessive drooling (ptyalism)
More information re backyard mushrooms that can kill your pets click here
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Max’s family as they cope with the loss of their beloved pup. Please share this and spread the word about the dangers of poisonous mushrooms!!!
Info from www.petmd.com