Toxic Foods that your cat should never eat….
We talked about what foods your dog should never eat, so I thought I should also list the Foods that your Cat should Never Eat. Cats are very curious and love to investigate what is cooking in the kitchen. Your cat will even jump up onto the counter as you are cooking and try to take a nibble . You must always keep an eye on the kitty cat. They will try to get into anything that smells good.
It is very important to keep you kitty away from dangerous ingredients. Cats are not able to digest may of the common food that we eat and the smallest amount can be toxic for them. Maybe try to keep you cat in a separate room while you are cooking the holiday meals or any meal for that matter.
- Raisins and Grapes. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises never feeding pets grapes or raisins. They are known to be toxic to dogs, and the ASPCA states there are ‘still many unknowns with the toxic potential’ of these fruits, including how they affect cats.
- Chocolate. While we humans can’t imagine a holiday dessert plate without a few chocolate treats, this is a toxic food for cats. A substance called Theobromine along with Caffeine can cause vomiting and over-stimulate the Central Nervous System, which can lead to death. All chocolate is dangerous to felines, but unsweetened baker’s chocolate is particularly harmful because it contains 8-10 times more Theobromine compared to milk chocolate. chocolates is dangerous to felines, so never let them get into chocolate
- Garlic, Onions & Similar Root Veggies. These foods have the power to destroy your cat’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. Onions are particularly dangerous.
- Green Tomatoes. Your cat will experience severe lower gastrointestinal pain after eating these plants. Stems and leaves are especially toxic.
- Xylitol. You may not know what it is, but xylitol is a substance you likely digest on a regular basis. It’s found in candy bars, gum, toothpaste and some baked goods, and it’s used an artificial sweetener. Some ‘diet’ food products contain this ingredient. Keep it away from your cat! It has the potential to cause seizures and liver failure.
- Bones and Fat Trimmings. Don’t leave that turkey, chicken or roast beef out on the table unattended. And do NOT give kitty those leftover table scraps! A few nibbles of the fat remnants can lead to vomiting and diarrhea, and bones are a choking hazard.
- CAFFEINE While some humans depend on it to get through the day, a large dose of caffeine is usually fatal to cats. Small amounts of the substance can lead to restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations and tremors. For your cat’s safety, all drinks with caffeine should be kept out of paw’s reach.