Tips for Curbing Your Dog’s or Cat’s Revolting Habit
What we do know for sure is dogs don’t eat poop because they have a poop deficiency!
Fortunately, there are some common sense ways to reduce your dog’s coprophagia habit.
- First on the agenda is to pick up your dog’s poop immediately, as soon after he eliminates as possible. Don’t give him the opportunity to stumble across old feces in his potty spot.
- Next, if you have cats, get a self-cleaning litter box or place the box in a location in your home where you dog can’t get to it.
- I also recommend you improve your pet’s diet as much as possible, and add digestive enzymes and probiotics at meal time.
- Offer toys to your dog that challenge his brain and ease boredom.
- Sufficient exercise is also crucial in keeping your dog’s body and mind stimulated. Bored dogs tend to develop far stranger, disturbing habits and behaviors than dogs that get plenty of exercise and mental stimulation. Call Love and Kisses Pet Sitting to help you with your dog walking needs.
- Lastly, consider trying one (or more than one) of the many over-the-counter coprophagia deterrent products. These are powders you either sprinkle on the stool itself or feed with meals to create an unpalatable stool. But keep in mind these powders contain MSG, including most of the remedies you can buy online.Also, you may have heard you can add a meat tenderizer to your dog’s food or stool to discourage poop eating, but most meat tenderizing products also contain MSG.I recommend you look for a non-toxic deterrent than doesn’t contain MSG.
If your pet’s coprophagic behavior seems to be going from bad to worse, make sure to talk to your vet about your concerns. You definitely want to rule out any underlying medical reason for this very gross, yet very common behavior problem.
Want to read more on this ? Go to http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/12/06/coprophagia-repulsive-pet-habits.aspx
For a comprehensive, updated and latest information and quotes more sources follow this link- Click here