Dangerous Cat Poisons
They say cats have 9 lives, but that can be cut dramatically short if you’re not careful. There are many things around the human household that can be dangerous cat poisons to the felines you care for. In this article, we’ll discuss which substances may be a dangerous cat poison and what to do should they be ingested.
There is an urban myth that some common medications can be used cross-species between humans and cats. Never attempt this without first consulting a vet if it doesn’t poison the cat outright the dosage needed can vary massively, increasing the risk of overdose.
You should keep locked up and out of reach of any cats:
• Cold & flu remedies
• Pain relief (ibuprofen, paracetamol, aspirin)
• Diet pills
• Cancer treatments
• Vitamins, minerals and other supplements
Cats have very different stomachs to humans, and some things we take completely for granted may pose a great risk to them. You may think you want to treat them while you’re indulging, but these foods and drinks need to be kept to yourself:
• Caffeine (coffee, tea, cola, energy drinks)
• Garlic, onions & chives
• Grapes & raisins
• Xylitol (toothpaste, sugarless gum, mouthwash)
• Yeast dough (bread, cake, pizza, etc)
In the modern day and age, it is very easy to overlook how many harmful chemicals we utilize on a daily basis. Just as you wouldn’t let children near these items, you need to keep your cats away from them too; they are just as oblivious to the effects. Chemicals around the house that can be harmful include:
• Rodent & insect bait
• De-icing salts
• Dog flea & tick medication
We’ve all seen cats eating grass to help their digestive system, but some plants can do more harm than good to their insides. Some of these plants are used by humans for health and healing benefits, but they need to be kept away from your felines!
• Aloe vera
What to do if your cats been poisoned
If you think a cat may have been poisoned, you should call a vet immediately. The sooner the better, as every moment will count, and they’ll need help as soon as possible. Take samples of vomit, stool and the poison you suspect they’ve ingested, this may assist the vet in determining the best course of action. If there’s any chance your cat has accessed any of the harmful substances mentioned above, look for these symptoms:
• Problem respiring
• Vomiting & Diarrhoea
• Shivering & tremors
• Dilated pupils
• Overly salivating
• Skin irritation
These symptoms are usually immediate, but if you notice your cat is weak or depressed, have the vet look it over.