Can I Give My Dog Aspirin or Other Over-the-Counter Pain Relievers?
This information was found on Find-a-A-Vet website
“Don’t ever give a human pain medication to your pet unless your veterinarian has specifically recommended it,” warns the Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine. “Common over-the-counter painkillers, such as acetaminophen, are very poisonous to certain pets.”
According to pets.webmd.com, “Buffered or enteric-coated aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is an over-the-counter analgesic that is reasonably safe for a short time for home veterinary care in the recommended dosage for dogs.”
Aspirin is a NSAID, which can upset dogs’ stomachs. Crosby writes that dogs “are particularly sensitive to the gastrointestinal effects of pain, bleeding and ulceration that can be a side effect of these drugs. Coated aspirin helps with the gastrointestinal effects.”
Since aspirin is absorbed at different rates depending on the size of the dog, you should check with your vet for the proper dosage to avoid causing organ damage.
“As few as two regular-strength aspirin tablets can produce severe organ damage in some medium-size (30 pounds, 13.6kg) dogs,” notes pets.webmd.com.
Don’t give your dog aspirin if he has bleeding or clotting problems, or if he is having surgery within a week. Do not give pregnant dogs aspirin since it can cause birth defects.
Find A Vet HOW TO articles are intended for informational purposes only. You should always consult with your veterinarian about any health issues affecting your dog.